Residence Permit

1. For students coming from an EU member country

Germany has a compulsory registration for everybody who is living here. If you stay here longer than three months, the registration should be done within the first two weeks after moving to Germany. The Resident Registration Office is located in the city hall of Deggendorf.

Rathaus Deggendorf
Franz-Josef-Strauss-Straße 3
94469 Deggendorf
Tel.: +49 (0)991-2960-333

For the registration, you will need the following:
o Your passport
o Your lease or confirmation from your landlord

You will fill in the so-called “Meldebestätigung”. Registering is free of charge and takes not more than 15 minutes.

The office hours are as follows:
Monday until Friday:  08.00 a.m. – 11.45 a.m.
Tuesday and Thursday:  08.00 a.m. – 04.00 p.m.

If you do not speak German, it is advisable to go there together with a German student who will assist you with the translation. The best way to do this is to be here during the orientation week. Another alternative could be to contact the AKI, a circle of students of the university who assist the international students in Deggendorf.

Before you leave the country, it is very important to go back to the city hall to
“un-register”. You have to go back there to let the authorities know that you are leaving and are no longer residing at that address.

2. For students not coming from an EU member country

Students not coming from an EU member country need to apply for a residence permit (“Aufenthaltsgenehmigung”). To obtain it you need to go to the Foreign Office (“Ausländeramt”). It is situated in the District Office (“Landratsamt”).

You are required to bring along the following documents:
§ passport or ID card
§ 3 passport-size photographs
§ proof of health insurance
§ enrolment certificate (“Immatrikulationsbescheinigung”)
§ proof of financial support or enough funds

The last point is the most difficult part. Officially, every student must have about 500 Euro per month available for living costs. If you are for example planning to stay for 5 months in Germany, you should be able to show the Foreign Office that you or your parents have 500 Euro*5 = 2,500 Euro on your bank account.

But that is only the official rule, so don't worry, this law is not so strictly observed. If you can show the foreign office that you receive enough money every month from your parents (e.g. copy of transaction from your bank account), that would also be fine. Try as much as you can to be friendly and honest with the people working there, then you will not have many problems.

For registration you will have to pay about 40 Euros. You will have to leave your passport there and will be notified as to when to come and get it back.

Please apply for a residence permit at:
Landratsamt Deggendorf
Ausländeramt or Foreigners’ Office
Herrenstraße 18
94469 Deggendorf
Tel.: +49 (0) 991 3100-228
Fax: +49 (0) 991 3100-146
Email: This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it

Office hours:

 Monday until Wednesday: 07.30 a.m. – 12.30 p.m.
 Tuesday also: 01.30 a.m. – 04.00 p.m.
 Thursday: 07.30 a.m. – 05.00 p.m.
 Friday: 07.30 a.m. – 12.00 p.m.